Holy moly. It’s been a little over a year since my last post. After a brief chit chat with Ms. Connie, I’ve realized maybe I should start posting again. We will see but I am a little hesitant about putting my life back on the web. I’ve heard stories where pictures of kids ended up on some strange pamphlet or part of some horrible scam. I’m either an all or nothing type of gal so… so I’ll take it a post at a time.
I believe an update is in order?🙂
When I left the blog last year, I had just turned 29 and was still a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom). I was planning for Kyle’s 1st birthday and looking into full-time employment. But since then, a lot has happened!
- Kyle had a wonderful 1st birthday in August.
- Went to 2 fabulous weddings in September.
- Visited Seattle for the first time. Loved our visit!
- Received a job offer as a contractor for Accenture @ Google in October.
- Kyle started daycare at 14 months. Bittersweet.😦
- Turned 30 and husband treated me to a wine tour in Napa Valley. Resigned and accepted another offer for Pro Limited @ Facebook this month.
What a year can do! What ONE month can do! I am so amazed and blessed for the opportunities and friendships that I have found while moving to the Bay last year. Life has its ups and downs but I am only happy to experience it all.
To be continued…?
My husband is working all weekend so he decided to take the day off yesterday. It’s always nice to have hubby with me! <3
Breakfast: eggs with cheese + turkey bacon + leftover egg muffins
Lunch: we decided to stroll around Japan Town and see what they were all about. We lunched at Kazoo and what with their somewhat reasonable prices and big portions, I’m definitely going to come back! It was tasty too but I had another minor stomachache after this. It wasn’t as horrible as my experience at Wing Stop but uncomfortable nonetheless. Boooooo. My husband thinks it’s because I was gobbling down too many oily tempura.
We shared 2 rolls – forgot what they were called but it was delish!
Hmm.. I notice now that both our rolls were encrusted with tempura batter….😀 Funny how you don’t notice certain details when you’re hungry, huh?
I got the broiled mackerel combo and it was exactly what I wanted! Mackerel is my favorite fatty fish and this tasted just like my mom’s.
And onto my husband”s order. He was craving donkatsu and this boat combo was perfect. This was around $16 – not too bad.
And of course, even though I was complaining about a stomachache, I SOMEHOW still managed to polish off a green tea mochi ice cream at Jimbo’s. My husband had this at their store in Hawaii and remembered it being just as good.
We got 3 for $3.95 I think but don’t quote me on that! He got the chocolate espresso and the chocolate strawberry. The chocolate espresso was my favorite.
My stomach was still feeling funny a few hours later so I just had some Starbursts and called it a night.🙂
My 9 month update:
- My extreme postpartum hair loss has stopped. And thank goodness my hair is growing back but all the new baby hair is sticking straight up! It looks so bad. I’ve resorted to gelling it back with super strength gel.😦 At least it’s growing back, right?
- I’m almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I only have less than a handful of pounds left so that’s good. I thought I was going to lose everything by the 6 month mark but it didn’t help that I barely went to the gym and didn’t stick to any diet scheme. I’ve been reading stories of how some women & of course celebrities were able to lose all their pregnancy weight and more by the 1-3 month mark. I know it depends on genetics and how much you ate during your pregnancy but can I say, LUCKY! I was still bloated and not feeling like my old self until I hit the 6 month mark. But I also know there are many women who are not able to lose the baby weight as easily. I found it and still find it hard to reclaim my body afterwards.
- With the above said, I’m finally seeing how pregnancy has changed my body. It’s nothing too drastic like some women but changes nonetheless. For some reason, I lost a lot of fat from breasts. Since high school, I was known as that Korean girl with the huge tatas. It’s weird to see them so deflated now. I can see my breast bones sticking out behind them. I still have some extra fat on my face and stomach but I can’t complain too much about anything else.
- 2 lasting comments I heard about my post-pregnancy body: I overheard a stranger from a coffee shop tell her friend that she couldn’t believe a thin woman like me had a baby. That was really uplifting and wonderful to hear. My ears definitely perked up. A bad one? I headed to my cousin’s rehearsal dinner for her wedding and saw my aunt that hadn’t seen me since my wedding. The first thing she said to me in Korean? “Lisa, you gained a lot of weight! Especially your face!” I laughed it off but c’mon – I had a baby and it hasn’t even been a year since his birth! I haven’t felt that judged and self-conscious in awhile.😦 I’ve learned to roll with the punches and you know something? People are going to say shit. It can be with purpose or without thought. I would like to believe it’s the latter. I probably say things at times that are devastatingly inappropriate too – no one’s perfect. So with that said, just roll with the punches. Duck, roll, do a split, or let it just smack you in the face and GET OVER IT. Don’t take things too personally. Don’t take horrible things to heart – it will do you no good. People are going to be people. Just say c’est la vie and smile.
2.5 months postpartum
3.5 months postpartum
5.5 months postpartum
9 months postpartum
Kyle’s 9 month check-up:
- 19 pounds / 29 inches long / 6-9 month clothing
- I’m a believer of vaccinations so he received everything he needed. Curacao doesn’t give as many vaccinations as the U.S. so he was missing a few. He usually has a fever after his shots but not this time around! He just had little bouts of crying with each shot and he was back to his happy self within minutes. What a trooper, right?🙂
- He is a fast crawler. He gets into everything. He loves cords and phone chargers. He’s ruined 2 phone chargers already. Those are expensive, yo!
- He can climb stairs but hasn’t figured out how to climb back down. He just whimpers a bit until I notice his plight. I keep showing him how to navigate the stairs by climbing backwards but it’s a no go at this point.
- He’s been standing since before his 7 month update. He tries to stand on everything and is a pro with his walker. I’m so amazed every time I see him zooming on by — on his walker!😀
- He has 7 teeth in total with another one on its’ way. It’s so strange to see him with teeth! Haha. He loves biting his daddy’s toes.
- He can clap his hands, give us high-fives, and point his index finger at us so we can do E.T’s go home.😉
- He likes the game of chase. He giggles all crazy and crawls super fast to the kitchen. When he sees that I’m not following him, he crawls back out to let me know he’s there and to follow him. Such a smart little man!
- One other thing that I am amazed by is his understanding of cause and effect. For instance, there’s a little old style telephone ringer on his walker that he loves to twirl with his fingers. But he realizes that I’m much better and faster at it so a couple of days ago, he surprised me by taking my hand and placing it on the telephone ringer. I didn’t understand so I brought my hand back but he did it again!
- Strangers usually think he’s a girl. Does he?
- His personality is incredible. He is such a happy little thing. He coos, giggles, laughs, and smiles all the time. I love love love his happy demeanor.
- Oh and he’s such a troublemaker. I guess all babies are this way? But wow. He has such a mischievous grin and does things JUST to see how I react. Little rascal!
Did I mentioned he loves mirrors and his reflection? Kyle does mean handsome by the way.😉
Yup. The cords. Freaks me out every time he does this. What if he somehow knocks over the lamp? What if he’s hiding a metal rod somewhere and electrocutes himself?!
He doesn’t like his zucchini.
My all-time favorite picture of Kyle. I’m so happy I got this shot!
His trademark chubby thighs. Isn’t he such a G? That one foot ALWAYS goes up when we’re strolling around the neighborhood.
I usually have him in pants but last week was too darn hot for pants.
I walk around my neighborhood on a daily basis to appease Kyle’s intense yearning for the outdoors. He loves cars already and how they make noise as they zoom on by. I think it’s a given that Hot Wheels cars are in my very near future. I can already see myself stepping on them and being in explicable pain.😀
Back in LA, we live in a gated community with cookie cutter condos and houses, so my neighborhood in the Bay area that’s near a college campus is eclectic to say the least. There was a big campus event last Friday before graduation and the streets were amok with young’ins. I’ve never been to a college event that let you wear briefs as pants! Times have changed.😉
Whatever the norm is on dressing yourself these days, I felt so out of place with no make-up, crazy hair, and stroller in tow. I really felt the generational gap and no wonder – these kids are the same age as my 21 year old brother! I still thought I was pretty young but this day made it all too clear that I am NOT. Time to head on over to the 30’s bracket next year!
This house does not seem to care for visitors – at all. No if’s, and’s, or but’s about it.
Do you see what I see? I’ll give you a closer look.
Like, what?! A mysterious Polynesian Easter Island statue in the Bay?
It made me smile as I walked by.
My breakfasts have been getting bigger lately. Breakfasts are very protein based, lunch is a mix of salads+protein, and I have snacks galore with chocolate, Chex mix, and cake pops. For some reason, I’ve been eating large amounts from 7-3 and then tapering off to small dinners or no dinners at all. I think I missed more than half my dinners last week. The reason? My husband comes home from work 9-10PM and honestly, I don’t want to eat that late. I just make his meal beforehand and I just eat bits of this and that while I’m preparing.
Kyle has also been quite the handful for the past few weeks. He wakes up shrieking bloody murder multiple times throughout the night and is quite mobile with his rapid crawling. So what does that equate to? An overrun, tired mama who is surviving on broken sleep and tired limbs. Sleep > food. I hit the hay right after I see Kyle nod off around 8-9.
Due to this change, my body has incredibly shifted my food choices and eating pattern to something that’s more sustainable to my lifestyle. I need all that protein to energize me for the day. Listen to your body!
Breakfast: Egg white omelet with cheese, leftover rotisserie chicken, and a random half an avocado that needed to be eaten.
Lunch: Whole Foods. I just picked whatever looked appetizing!
Snacks: Japanese strawberry Kit Kat bar from Mitsuwa. I like the green tea one better but I couldn’t waste it, right? I just finished the entire bag in one go.🙂
Leftover dark chocolate favors from my cousin’s wedding.
Dinner: A rare night I was hungry for dinner. I threw in tofu, yellow squash, and some leftover ground chicken into this Mapo tofu mixture. It doesn’t look too pretty but it was quite nice.